Thursday, May 1, 2008

Oh God.

Does anyone have a have a spatula to scrap my dead ass off the floor?

What a slow day, I think maybe I had five tables my whole shift. In any case I think I only made about..20% of my sales anyway, so guess what that means kids?

Yep I made no money. Let me explain....

I don't know how it is in other states, but in my state we only get payed 2.15 hourly, servers that is. We also do something at the end of the night called a check out, to make sure that the money we have is correct, and figure out what we owe the store for working.

Let's say Waitress A has 350 dollars in her bank.

Her sales between credit cards and cash are 225

so the money left is 75 bucks. Take 25 from that which is the cash she brings so she can make change for the guests, which leaves her with 50 bucks.

Out of that 50 bucks, 45 of that was on credit cards, which are automatically claimed on her check by the computer.

that leaves 5 bucks unclaimed, which legally she must claim as her cash tips.

add in what she made in 8 hours @ 2.15 ...17.20 which of course is eaten by sales tax on food and drink and state and fed taxes.

that leaves her with 50 bucks subtracting sales taxes

about 8 bucks...ish I'm bad at the % part so give me a brake.

Now can you see where our money goes? If you only tip your waitress 5% of the bill that she is also getting taxed on...she actually loses money.

So now for 5 hours work she only gets about 42 bucks, which comes out to 8.40 an hour.

Some job right?

Now maybe you an see why tipping good is actually helping you get better service. Because who wants to take care of someone who is only going to leave 5% and effectively stealing from her?

Not many my dear.

So, Tips= To Insure Proper Service? No..... To insure FAIR wages...



And a Side order of love,

ApronDiva

1 comment:

ApronDiva said...

Oh, I also forgot we have to "tip out" the support staff, mainly busboys(or girls) dishwashers, the bar, host staff and if you like your kitchen and serveing food that isnt burt, late or messed up the Chef/cook.

It's required to tip support staff, not so much with the Chef/cook, but hey when the kitchen is on you side too it works.